The next meeting of the Storytellers which will be on Tuesday 16th April commencing at 7:30pm.
In keeping with previous years the April meeting will have an ANZAC DAY theme.
Sandy Longworth will be our ‘Storyteller’ and will talk about:
- the Turkey and Ottoman Empire leading up to the Gallipoli Campaign
- the Gallipoli Campaign, mostly narrative slides
- Sandy’s ‘hero’, his father Roley, and some of his stories (he did not speak about it much, as it was very tough, but wrote a few very informative letters which were not subject to censors when he was in hospital in Cairo)
- briefly tracing his father’s life connected with Military and medicine. Roley’s life in a sense was made by WWI . He remained a devoted ‘Digger’ and was the ‘Diggers’ doctor for both WWI and WWII diggers.
The BBC’s one and only A Cappella choir will join in the evening’s fun with a number of songs familiar to everyone.
No tickets required this time!!
If the weather is good then come for a byo drink, feed and chat beforehand, usually starting at 6pm. All members and friends are welcome.
Enquiries to email me
Drum roll. Yes we have set a date for the start of the renovation to the Men’s Change-room. Work will commence in earnest on 1st of May, 2019. Installation of temporary facilities will commence in the week of 15th April.
Ross Boakes and his team will be coordinating and overseeing the renovation. We are using the same builders as we used for the Women’s Change room. We all agreed that they did a fantastic job of the women’s area and the plans for the men’s look just as impressive. Follow the link to see floor plans and some finishes, for those who are interested. There will also be material in the Top Room display cabinet for you to view. Ross and the team have put lot of work and thought into these plans and they are now finalised and signed off.
This extensive renovation is necessary and overdue. The timber floors, showers and other fittings and fixtures are all very much in need of replacement.
The footprint of the change room will basically stay the same and most importantly THE OPENING IN THE ROOF WILL REMAIN! There will be more lockers and hooks available for use and we will do all we can to give the same lockers back to the individuals that are using them at present.
At some point before the start date we will ask all locker owners to remove the contents of their lockers. Please do this as promptly as possible.
So, with such a large scope of works there will obviously be disruptions. The most obvious one being the back courtyard being taken over by a temporary shower shed for the men to use. There will be showers in the shed and we will be making use of the undercover area for changing. Ross has it all planned!! Please note we have opted for no temporary toilets as we believe they will be smelly (think Port-a-loo smell). The 2 toilets near the top room will be available for use. We figured that if the women survived without temporary toilets when their change room was being renovated, then surely the men can survive this small inconvenience too!
We are looking at approximately 4 months for the job but you never know what we will find once work commences.
It’s going to be fantastic when it is completed and I hope you will all be flexible, positive and patient.
BBC Mens Change Room Drawings
For our March meeting we’re going to the Cremorne Orpheum Picture Palace!!
Why you may ask?
- Since 2005 the club has supported the annual Balmoral Swim for Cancer. The event has continued to grow in popularity and funds raising. Close to $1.2 million dollars has been raised through swim entries and donations for the Children’s Cancer Institute in their mission to eliminate Childhood Cancer.
- This year’s swim is coming up in a couple of weeks’ – 7th April.
- One of our club members, Kieran Kelly, and a group of young film makers, have spent the last year shooting and editing a documentary feature “Spreading Hope” dealing with the traumatic impact of childhood cancer on families and some initiatives being made to fund research into the disease.
- So on Thursday (NOT the usual Tuesday) 28th March at 6:00pm you are invited to attend BBC Storytellers at the premiere of “Spreading Hope”. You will be able to have a drink or two and some canapes, see a viewing of the film and the chance to meet the crew.
- Due to the size of the theatre it is a ticket only event and we can't let people in on the night or allow people to pay at the door. The Cremorne Orpheum is very strict about this.
- There are about 40 tickets left. Note tickets are not free. $10 per head which will cover drinks and canapes.
- If you would like to join us and meet the crew, you can book via the link below.
- Husbands/Wives/partners/children all welcome.
- This is rather a one-off for the Storytellers and I would ask that you support this event.
Come and relax at the club at the end of the weekend on Sunday evenings. Catering by Function 8 with a new and varied menu every Sunday.
Click thumbnail images below to view individual menus.
Bookings essential on www.trybooking.com
Click here to see a pdf with all menus.