July 2016 Storytellers had a winter theme and our presenters for the evening were two members well versed in all that is snow, ice, ski slopes, here and abroad, après ski drinks and the like.
Geoffrey Wall began proceedings presenting “I saved the Snowy Mountains Hydro-Electricity Scheme“. Geoffrey spent six months in a small hut at Blue Lake on the Snowy Mountains Main Range planting his seeds… for soil conservation that is!! Geoffrey told a wonderful story of his experiences in a mountain hut, earning lots of money in overtime in order to raise some cash to go overseas. What better place to NOT spend any money? There was teasing of colleagues, one in particular who wrote a letter later to say that after much research he has recognised that there was never such and such an animal …and he wasn’t happy!
Geoffrey included some lovely anecdotes including what could possibly have been a real life changer when he literally picked up Marlene Dietrich …
After a short break to stretch the legs, Andrew Horsley (famed Jack Cox winner and Australian Cross Country Ski representative) presented “An evening of Australian Alpine History”. Andrew provided an insight to the Cross Country discipline – its growth, sophistication & characters, as observed over his long involvement as a racer, coach and administrator.
Andrew’s skiing and associated activities are truly extensive and everyone noted how his presentation was modestly understated. Just a few example of his involvement follow:
Member of both the Kosciusko Alpine Club and Cooma Ski Club since 1974
- Member, Australian Cross Country Ski Team, World Cup and World Championships
- Numerous World Cup and international races
- Winner, Australian Universities Cross-Country Skiing Championship in 1975, 1978, 1979, University of NSW Blue 1976
- World Loppet Races
- World Masters Competitions – Austria, Canada, Alaska, Germany, Canada, Finland, Italy, USA, Switzerland
- Accredited Level 3 Coach
- 1984 Assistant Manager and Assistant Coach, Australian Cross Country Ski Team, 14th Winter Olympic Games, Sarajevo
- President, NSW Ski Association 1984 – 1986
- Technical Manager, World Ski Championships, Oslo, Norway 1982
- FIS World Congress – Delegate, Sydney 1983 and Melbourne 2000
Many thanks to both Geoffrey and Andrew for preparing and presenting to a very appreciative audience. Their presentations really complemented each other and there is now talk of them doing the club circuit as a duo!
Geoffrey – thanks for the whole initiative and suggesting Andrew as a presenter. Your anecdotes were delightful … and no doubt Marlene D will be one of your life’s regrets!
Finally, in the words of Andrew H – “Remember – Club life, like skiing, is always about Personalities, Performance, Pride & Parties… .”